Hiro has been very popular since being a hire vehicle on Quirky Campers, gaining over 26000 likes on the ‘project.vanlife’ Instagram page.
Our family of 3 has been living full time in the van since the end of July and we are now looking to sell because we’d like to upgrade to a bigger van.
Hiro has everything you need for wild camping and off-grid living. Being very simple it’s easy to manage and there is not much that can go wrong! You will only need to make sure you stock up on petrol, water and gas bottles and you are ready to live off grid for days!
Hiro is well kept related to its age. The engine works great and has been serviced at the end of April with a change of oil/oil filter/air filter on 28th November 2019.
We have all vehicle and service history. MOT till January 2021 and major service completed.
• Pine wood cladding treated with Osmo Oil
• All furniture made from lightweight poplar plywood and painted with Farrow and Ball paint
• Countertops made from plywood covered in heat resistant DC fix (no, it’s not real granite!)
• Insulation: mix of rigid Celotex, vapour barrier and recycled plastic fibers
• Professionally installed tinted windows (one fixed/one opening side window, two barn door windows)
• Professionally installed pop-up roof by Skyline roofs
• Professionally installed electrical system comprising of:
-Leisure battery: 110Ah leisure battery with 12v fusebox. The leisure battery is charged through a voltage sensitive relay (when the engine is running) and the solar panel on the roof.
-150W semi-flex solar charging system with Victron Energy MPPT solar charge controller with Bluetooth app.
-Split charge system
• 6 x USB sockets and 1 x 12v cigarette socket.
• Heating: Planar 2Kw diesel heating system controlled by thermostat which was professional installed.
• Water: Micro switched tap / immersion pump system with 2 x 12 litre water tanks under the sink
• Hob: Portable camping gas stove (you can buy the small gas cans at Decathlon all over Europe)
• Coleman Coolbox with top access which we fill with ice every 3/4 days in the summer
• Loads of storage space
• Hiro is a SWB VW T5.1 Highline therefore it features parking sensors, bluetooth phone connection, cruise control, body coloured bumpers, upgraded alarm system, leather steering wheel and gear knob, upgraded air-con system, front fog lights and heated rear view mirrors.
• Tracker: GPS live tracker fitted
• Registered as campervan on logbook
• Lowered suspensions that make the van a total high of 2.05m to allow access to most underground and restricted height parkings.
Hiro had to be the smallest van possible due to the place where he lives which is an underground car park in London. We settled on a SHB VW T5 because we wanted the most reliable van we could get since we are planning a long life for him! He started his life as a working van for an electrician and has now become our little home on wheels.
The clean and minimal look is inspired by our love of Japanese design, and some simple touches like Japanese fabrics for the curtains tie everything into our theme.
As a family, storage was an important feature for our campervan (kids tend to make any space messy in no time!) so we have created nooks under the benches and lots of drawers. Since we prefer cooking outdoors we have built a cooking drawer that opens out of the side door, extending the liveable space outside, and a portable coolbox you can take with you for picnics.
You can watch Hiro’s van tour here:
Hiro has proved to be very popular while listed with Quirky Campers and we hope the new owner will continue to rent out this gorgeous van. To find out more about hiring your van through Quirky Campers then please see this page https://www.quirkycampers.co.uk/rent-out-your-campervan/
VW T5.1 SWB Highline
The bed in the pop top takes 2 people while the seating area coverts into a small double bed (1.20m wide x 1.65m long) that can take up to 2 (smaller) people