The base van is a 2007 VW T5 Transporter, in good condition after an easy pre-conversion life as a carpet-fitter’s van. And in an unusual but nice black colour, and the Long Wheel Base (LWB) for extra space.
Here’s other things about it:
- MOT until August 2019
- Serviced last summer with limited miles since, and various works such as new wheel bearings and brake parts to get tip-top shape
- Milage approx. 155,000, with no signs of serious wear-and-tear from the mechanical parts or body
- The 1.9 litre and 84 bhp diesel engine, offering good fuel consumption
- 5-speed manual gear box
- Standard ABS brakes for safety
- Two keys supplied, the main one with remote central locking
- Full hand polish on the bodywork as well as valet
- Full colour-matching bumpers at the front and rear
There’s a quick overview video on YouTube here.
An unusual conversion completed in 2018 which provides the maximum possible space for a VW T5 van. A double bed unit literally rolls out the rear barn doors and so partially overhanging the rear of the van and effectively providing an additional 30% floor space to the already large Long Wheel Base van area.
If you’re wanting maximum space and the comfort of a full double bed then this fits the bill. Other features of the conversion are:
- Roof extension for over 6 feet of height in the middle of the van, in a similar fibre-glass design as the bed unit. It only removes two roof trusses, and a more solid structure that easily flips up.
- Full 240v mains electricity hook-up that has been certified
- Leisure battery that provides 240 volts through an inverter as well as powering 12v for the van’s lights and USB charger
- Kitchen unit with a SMEV hob and sink unit with gas certification and water pump
- Duel 12 and 240 volt electric fridge
- Separate battery light units to place where needed with remote control
- New LED lighting and spots within the camper area
- Portable toilet, fitting easily under the kitchen unit
- Full insulation on the sides and floor, with final hard-wearing floor covering
- Full 180 degrees swivel front drivers and passenger seats
- Side windows on both sides, with the one over the kitchen unit having an opening
- Handy dining table that stores in the side-door when not in use, and additional chairs to hand when needed
- Various storage areas in the sides of the van, over and within the kitchen unit, and under the bed base unit and even within the unit when travelling
- Essential Health & Safety and Fire Safety measures like fire extinguisher, First Aid kit, and Smoke and CO2 Detectors
- Blinds across the side and front cab windows
This final design is a simple and rustic one, keeping a black-and-white with gun-metal grey base colours so that the colour scheme of any personal items will always match in with it. The modern and minimalistic feel, along with the bags of space inside makes it work and look real good.
There is a double bed that literally rolls out of the rear barn doors, based upon a soft foam mattress. The base within the van is fixed to the floor providing handy storage underneath and a place to sit during the day.
To roll-out the bed, simply swivel the circular piece outside once the barn doors are open, for it to naturally rest on the door opening. A wood base is moved over, and the mattress easily slotted into place. Handy side pockets are then added to the rolled-out base.